Apprentice Optician - Part-Time - Mason #219
Job ID: 1250645
Date Posted: 02/14/2020
This is for a part-time position
Your path to become a Licensed Optician starts here!
Are you looking for a career that will bring you “home?” A career with a company that has one of the absolute best store leadership teams on the planet?! Well, you just found it!
One of the nation’s TOP optical companies, Eyemart Express is seeking candidates with a strong retail background for a position at one of our store locations. For nearly 30 years, Eyemart Express has been setting the pace and the standard when it comes to delivering an awesome customer experience along with great prices and the fastest service anywhere! We have full-service labs in every one of our stores! And we’re growing every year with new stores opening throughout the country. Your career growth potential is endless!
So, if you’re looking to join a company that leads the industry in service, quality & speed, and that is rapidly expanding to well over 200 stores, then Eyemart is the place for you! If you have the drive, the talent, along with the leadership experience in bringing teams together and exceeding goals, then we want to talk to you. Take a look at some of the things the role consists of and send us your resume today!
The Apprentice Optician will primarily assist patients in selecting the eyeglass frames, lenses and lens coatings that best suit their needs. The Apprentice Optician will also be responsible for ensuring the lab technicians have accurate measurements and prescription information for grinding, coating and fitting lenses to the frames. Once the glasses are complete, the Apprentice Optician is responsible for dispensing the glasses to the patient.
In this specialized role, we are looking for candidates who are either already working on, or would be interested in starting, their licensure to be a certified optician.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide exceptional customer service
- Maintain knowledge of current sales and promotions as well as policies regarding payment, returns, exchanges
- Compute and process payment transactions/refunds using in-house Point of Sale system
- Perform other administrative tasks as assigned
- Process insurance claims
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of products
- Create and maintain patient files, following company and HIPAA policies regarding confidentiality.
- Input customer information into computer system
- Assess and interpret patient’s needs/wants based upon prescription requirements, facial features, lifestyle, and occupation, and suggest most appropriate products (i.e. frames, lens type, coatings)
- Take necessary measurements (i.e. measuring the patient’s pupillary distance)
- Prepare work order for lab ensuring all pertinent information is listed (i.e. patient information, prescription, lens size/type, measurements, special tinting or coating, etc.)
- Pull correct lenses according to work order specifications
- Inspect final product for accuracy; adjust completed glasses to fit patient using pliers, hands and heat if necessary to bend frames accordingly
- Educate patient on how best to care for their glasses
- Adjust/repair damaged frames, replace nose pads and missing screws
- Price, stock and straighten merchandise
Education and Experience Requirements
- High School Diploma or GED
- Experience working in retail, customer service, or sales
- Experience working in the optical industry is preferred
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time (up to 8 hours per day per scheduled shift)
- Ability to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist
- Ability to lift, carry, push, and/or pull up to approximately 25 lbs
- Must possess excellent hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills
- Ability to operate basic office equipment
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Ability to correctly read and interpret prescription specifications and input into computer properly to ensure lenses are cut properly
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to identify and solve problems, and facilitate problem solving
- Attention to detail
- Time management skills - ability to prioritize and work quickly and efficiently when there are multiple customers to assist
- Ability to deal with stressful situations such as dissatisfied customers
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees
- Work is performed primarily in an indoor retail store setting
- High level of interaction with general public
- Work is independent and with patients
- Environment is often fast-paced and deadline oriented
- Work with small manual tools (screwdriver, pliers, etc.) on a regular basis
- Some exposure to dusts, fumes, glass and/or plastic lens particulates, standard chemicals found in optical lab (some of which may be allergenic), metal alloy (solid and melted), moderately high levels of noise, fluorescent lighting, cleaning agents and electrical energy in the lab